2005-02-28

Modal headaches

How does one intercept modal browser alerts about connection problems, file transfer failues and the like from javascript?

Most of all, I want to trap the "The operation timed out when attempting to contact www.kingdomofloathing.com" dialog, which pops up very frequently (typically at least once every session) when I load a new frame from my javascript code. Of course it has nothing to do with which method I employ to load it, but it's mostly when I initiate the transfers myself when I'm really interested in trapping the alert to handle it in a more constructive and less user-involving manner.

Even a solution requiring me to be a Mozilla plugin would be useful, though what I really want is something that could live in a scriptlet or web page and handle the call, ideally cross-browser. With browser Javascript not being nearly as wing-clipped today as it was back in the nineteen hundreds, I've come to expect to be able to solve issues like these. (Let's hope I'm not being overly optimistic.)

Any feedback on the subject very welcome indeed. I'll be sure to write some kind of article about the solution once I find out or get pointed to it.
Categories:
blog comments powered by Disqus